Church of Agios Georgios, Archaeological Site of Aigosthena, Porto Germeno, Municipality of Mandra-Eidyllia
The church of Agiow Georgios is located in the acropolis of the fortress of Aigosthenes. This is a compact cruciform church with a low barrel-vaulted dome, a semicircular apse, and a narthex which was built later on the west with a wooden roof and a floor paved with large, irregular stone slabs.
The interior is richly decorated with fine wall paintings of at least three different periods. The oldest layer of paintings dates from the Byzantine era, as attested by a painting of the Pantocrator revealed on the dome. The second paint layer (17th c.) extends across the dome and the nave. It dates from the post-Byzantine phase when the church was the Katholikon of a monastery. The most recent layer (1833) covers the chancel barrier, the sanctuary, and the east part of the north and south walls.
The narthex is a later addition. On the east side of the south door is an inscription set into the wall with the date 1789, which may be that of the construction of the narthex.
Of the modifications carried out to meet the needs of the monastic community, all that remains today is an L-shaped complex of cells.