Archaeological Site of Aigosthena, Porto Germeno, Municipality of Mandra-Eidyllia

Archaeological Site of Aigosthena, Porto Germeno, Municipality of Mandra-Eidyllia

“...remoteness has preserved for us a Greek fortified town

in better condition and greater completeness than any other...

a place, for those who have seen it, to marvel at and return to”  

                                                                                E.F. Benson, 1895

Church of Agios Athanasios, Eleonas, Municipality of Megara

Church of Agios Athanasios, Eleonas, Municipality of Megara

The Church of Agios Athanasios belongs to the architectural type of the simple four-column cruciform inscribed domed church. The dating of the fresco of Agia Kyriaki in the first half of the 13th c. provides an ante quem dating of the monument.

Church of Agios Georgios, site Orkos, Eleonas, Municipality of Megara

Church of Agios Georgios, site Orkos, Eleonas, Municipality of Megara

The Church of Agios Georgios is located at the site "Orkos" or "Abatzades" in Eleonas, very close to the tunnels of the ancient aqueduct that fed the "Fountain of Theagenes", in the city of Megara. The church dates back to the 12th century and today survives in a semi-ruined condition.

Eleonas, Municipality of Megara

Eleonas, Municipality of Megara

The Eleonas of Megara is spread out overgrown with centuries-old olive trees, among which are still preserved the Byzantine churches of Eleonas that the travelers of the 17th century saw on their journey.

«Returning to Megara, we took our horses and went three or four miles north,
to a ruined town called Paleochori, where we saw six or seven churches,
built, as I found out, from the ruins of some older buildings.
In there we found ancient inscriptions»

George Wheler and Jacob Spon, travelers, 1676

RSS

Theme picker

image


The Ephorate of Antiquities of West Attica is a regional service of the Ministry of Culture and Sports

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2022 by Ephorate of Antiquities of West Attica
Back To Top